Creating a hexagonal cartogram

Ralph Straumann

Ralph is a world-citizen, a geoinformation specialist by profession, and interested in many topics. Here, he'll confine himself mostly to things geo-visual.

You may also like...

6 Responses

  1. Julian says:

    I’m having some hard time to understand how to join the data to the map using QGIS. Will be great to have just a basic example with a simple dataset and a map, and all the steps to get to the JSON file.

    I’m familiar with d3, and I find Mike Bostock’s tutorial about building a map – , very straight forward but still tying hard to figure out how to generate the geo JSON for the hexagons map.

  1. 8 August 2013

    […] The cartogram has sparked quite some interest and I have covered its conceptualisation as well as its technical realisation in two detailed blog posts. (I still plan to write a third blog post about the realisation in […]

  2. 8 October 2013

    […] –  I came up with my own workflow for the creation of such a cartogram, documented here and here. (Though beware: Mike Bostock liked the results but found it relatively laborious when he made […]

  3. 1 January 2014

    […] Creating a hexagonal cartogram […]

  4. 28 December 2015

    […] indispensable) manual work went into it. I explain all the various aspects, data sources and tools in two blog posts. For the interactive version of the visualization I used Mike Bostock’s D3.js. The […]

  5. 15 March 2017

    […] other options, and one of these is a Waterman Butterfly Projection. Plus in 2015, hexagons, seemed, to be, all the, rave. Why not combine these two and create a cartogram that improves the form and […]

Please let us know your opinion: Reply here

%d bloggers like this: